Re: NT/Linux Driver?

Marcus Meissner (msmeissn@cip.informatik.uni-erlangen.de)
Thu, 1 May 1997 23:09:28 +0200 (MET DST)

> On Thu, 1 May 1997, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> > Still, it might be possible --- there are many, many, many issues to be
> > considered though.
>
> A binary emulation layer would be a *great* way to put the shits up M$. To
> watch 'ol Billy squirm would be worth the price of admission alone ^_^!

I don't think you will ever be able to use NT kernel/ring0 drivers
in Linux. (The documentation to that stuff costs you not only an arm and a
leg you have to sign away your soul too.)

The services needed to run such things would easily take up more code
then the kernel currently has.

Look at the WINE project. It's rather far from emulating all of Win32...
and the lowlevel ring0 API is rumored to be of the same size and complexity.

> We definitely managed to put the shits up Sun enough that they
> specifically target Linux as competetion now. ^_^;

That's the good point with Sun.

MS would not compete, it would sue (or spread FUD or whatever they did
to other competitors up to now).

Marcus