[Off Topic (by now, anyway)]Re: Solaris source

Richard G. Roberto (richr@Bear.COM)
Thu, 1 May 1997 08:23:31 +0900 (JST)

On Wed, 30 Apr 1997, Systemkennung Linux wrote:

> > effort which I wholeheartedly support. Besides, how can a commercial
> > product compete with linux?
>
> Mark William's Coherent, a entry level UNIX-like OS was more or less
> blown out of the market by Linux. Do you still believe that Linux can
> not compete with a commercial product?
>
> Ralf

Mark Williams' COHERENT had an install base of a couple thousand.
It was basically a featureless, very poor replica of SVR2.

I don't think its fair to blame Linux for its demise. Its was
just one of those unfortunate things.

I've also CC'd the solaris-source@vger list with this message. I
hope nobody minds ;)

Richard G. Roberto
richr@bear.com
011-81-3-3437-7967 - Tokyo, Japan

Bear Stearns is not responsible for any recommendation, solicitation, offer or
agreement or any information about any transaction, customer account or account
activity contained in this communication.