Re: Cyrix 166+ processor support

Tom Diehl (tdiehl@pil.net)
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 15:17:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 28 Apr 1997, John Ireland wrote:

> I run Redhat 4.1 on a 486 but will be upgrading to a Pentium (or clone)
> system soon. Since the kernel likes int16 for floating point ops and
> 'hlt' instructions, does anyone know whether the Cyrix 166+ (and 200+) is
> compatible enough with an Intel Pentium to run happily? (Since I suspect
> that this is the kind of area where any incompatibilities are likely to
> show up.)

I have been running the 6x86 P166 here since Dec. No problems yet!! I ran
it with a 2.0.27 kernel for 84 days of uptime until the kernel panic which was
caused by a bad floppy and my trying to continue to exercise it.

Hope this helps.

tdiehl@pil.net

Unix IS user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.

Friends don't let friends do DOS/WINDOZZZZZZZE!!!!