Re: Patches to speed up SLIP and PPP

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@MIT.EDU)
Sun, 27 Apr 1997 18:14:02 -0400

From: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox)
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 15:30:33 +0100 (BST)

> In short, I'd much rather see a patch that
> (a) gets rid of the "fast" vs "slow" interrupts. They used to make sense,
> but they don't much do that any more. They only result in problems.

You rejected one of those prior to 1.2 that came from the STRIP driver
authors.

If it's the one that I'm thinking of, I can't blame Linus; they added
yet another kind of interrupt, which they called "adaptive", and the
code did things like (in the assembly stubs defined in irq.h), had some
hard-coded comparisons to see if the IP was the serial interrupt
handler, and other really, really unclean stuff.....

I took a look at one such patch, saw what they were trying to do, and
wrote a quick hack to the serial driver which at least solved the
problem for single-CPU systems (I was wondering if it would cause
problems for SMP systems, but I figured Linus would call me on it if it
did.)

So, I think Linus wants it done, but wants it done right. :-)

- Ted