Re: Intel AGP..

Ken Jordan (kenjordan@massmedia.com)
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 19:07:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, Andrew G. Morgan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm interested to know if there are any plans to work on the Accelerated
> Graphics Port that Intel is pushing as a future standard?
>
> http://developer.intel.com/pc-supp/platform/agfxport/
>
> It seems that this promises to offer a substantial (x10) speed up over PCI
> and is likely to be big thing for video.
>
> Cheers

AFAIK, all this does is give 3D hardware access to textures in main memory
(at 66Mhz memory bus speed, not slow 33Mhz PCI). Since Linux doesn't even
support any 3D accelerators this doesn't seem too useful at the moment.

Even with proper support (in which the memory management routines have to
keep track of where in physical memory textures lie) it seems to me to be
a questionable feature just to avoid adding a decent amount of
video/texture RAM to 3D hardware directly (also, word from those who know,
say it doesn't even help very much).

Take it easy,
Ken Jordan