Re: 2.0.30 reboots with cyrix.pl2.patch

Fire Dragon (fdragon@world-net.net)
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 12:25:09 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, Joseph W. Breu wrote:

> I recently compiled 2.0.30 on a client machine of mine with the
> following /proc/cpuinfo

> model : 6x86 2x Core/Bus Clock
> stepping : 2 rev 2

> After the Uncompressing the kernel... it reboots.

VSPM problem... CPU doesn't support it possibly due to the amount of ram
your computer has and how the ram is setup (you can have 16, 32, 64, but I
don't think values like 24, 40, 72 are valid for VSPM...)

> CONFIG_M586=y
> # CONFIG_M686 is not set

why not?

> CONFIG_CYRIX=y
> CONFIG_CYRIX_5X86=y
> CONFIG_CYRIX_6X86=y
> CONFIG_CYRIX_6X86_VSPM=y

this is the possible problem... see above reason for possiblity to why...

> # CONFIG_CYRIX_6X86_L1_BROKEN is not set

I don't think anything but the P100+ and older P120+ CPUs needed this
(which are mostly out of circulation now)

> I am not sure if the VSPM is causing this because my chip is a
> step that doesn't have the L1 broken and has the VSPM (I think?)..

possibly...

ttylz

--
Fire Dragon