(no subject)

Russell Berry (berrex@albany.net)
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 12:57:34 -0400 (EDT)

Well, actually, my screen doesn't lock. All the apps that were already open
remain functional, and the window manager doesn't die. It's just that if I
start a new app/window, I get the X_transConnect can't connect. The reason for
that being that /tmp/.X11-unix/X0= socket is gone. No errors in my logs,
nothing reported to the console until another xapp tries to come up.

---russ

On 22-Apr-97 Rildo Pragana wrote:
>Hi Thayne,
>
> It seems to be a bug in XFree, because I did found the same problem with
>my 486, Trident 9440, despite the window manager I'm using at the moment.
>It happens more frquently when I run some programs (like Netscape, or The
>Gimp) buggy, that report "Bus errors" or core dumps. Unafortunately, I
>have no way to characterize the problem or even a way to repeat it.
>Please, report what conditions do you (Thaney, Russell and others) find
>the screen locked. I'm decided to find out what's happening, at least!
>
>regards,
>Rildo Pragana (direct e-mail: <rpragana@truenet.com.br>, or Reply-To)
>
>On Mon, 21 Apr 1997, Thayne Harbaugh wrote:
>
>> This is very similar to a problem I'm having. My X server can die at
>> various
>> times: restarting the windowmanager, closing an app, opening an app,
>> etc.
>> Sometimes it completely kills the server and other times it kills it but
>> leaves
>> the graphics on the console and locks the keyboard input (or so it
>> seems). I'm
>> running a cyrix 6x86 200+, Matrox Millenium, XFree86-SVGA 3.2a, 32M
>> SDRAM, 2.0.30,
>> AHA2940-UW, (mail me for more details).
>>
>> Russell Berry wrote:
>> >
>> > Greeting fellow linux users,
>> >
>> > I'm cross posting this to X11 and kernel, at first glance the bulk of you
will
>> > insist that this is not a kernel issue. Indeed, maybe it isn't, but please
>> > read on, I'll try to be brief.
>> >
>> > The issue involves two machines, both running 2.0.30 at the moment. One
is a
>> > P100, the other a P60. the 60 has a cirrus 5432 chipset vid card, running
>> > Xfree863.1.2, the 100 is a diamond S3 chipset (not virge) running
Xfree863.2.x.

>> > Here's the story, every since 2.0.29, I will loose /tmp/.X11-unix/X0=, the
>> > connection. The chain of events prior to this loss vary. Sometimes I'll
be
>> > running netscape, sometimes not. Sometimes I'll be doing absolutely
nothing,
>> > try to open an Xterm, and the connection will be gone. All the windows and
>> > apps that are open and running when this happens continue to work fine.
This