Re: procfs problems

Dan Hollis (goemon@sasami.anime.net)
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 19:25:02 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 17 Apr 1997, Thomas Koenig wrote:
> >Let me object on this : most things in /proc must be human-readable
> >without looking up a manpage. I for one often use this information while
> >setting up a system, using a boot/root disk.
> I STRONGLY second this.
>
> Just recently, I had a system with a hardware problem. I booted it
> up (with the Debian rescue disk) and could then look at all the
> /proc entries at my leisure.

It is certainly possible to write the information in /proc so that it is
mostly human readable, but not so incredibly verbose that it is now.

I think, that these huge text tables in static unswappable memory in the
kernel has absolutely no business being there.

Your rescue disk could easily have a 'lspci' program on it.

-Dan