Re: Linux on PA/RISC

Todd Graham Lewis (lists@reflections.eng.mindspring.net)
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 15:06:55 -0400 (EDT)

On 16 Apr 1997, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> > > Is there any specific reason why I don't seem to be seeing any running
> > > efforts to port Linux to PA/RISC?
> >
> > 1) HP does not document their hardware.
>
> It is probably better documented than the SPARC.
>
> The guys at Utah University had a complete port of Mach 3.0 to the
> HP-PA done at least three years ago. Their Flux OS most likely still
> runs on those machines.

My understanding was that a lot of this (as well as the NetBSD port) was
based on the original CRSG BSD work, which was of a tenuous legal nature
(encumbered). There at least is the hardware documentation which results
from the Sparc clones out there, which has no analogue for the PA-RISC.

Then again, you're almost certainly more of an expert than I am; all of
what I just said is 100% hearsay.

__
Todd Graham Lewis MindSpring Enterprises tlewis@mindspring.com