Re: annoying bug? in NFS

Olaf Kirch (okir@monad.swb.de)
Mon, 7 Apr 1997 13:47:09 +0200 (MET DST)

To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject: Re: annoying bug? in NFS
Newsgroups: swb.lists.linux.kernel

: So, I edit a script file which lives on an NFS mounted partition. If I
: then try to run the script on the machine which is the NFS server for that
: file I get
:
: /bin/sh: bin/cron/cat-proc-stat: Text file busy

This is a well-known problem of the user-space nfsd. In order to speed
up operations, it keeps the open file descriptor of the file you edit around
for a couple of seconds. All but very old versions (> 1 yr) wait around
2 or 3 seconds before closing the file.

However, this is not a generic NFS problem, it's just a `feature' of
unfsd. Make sure you upgrade to the latest server available from
ftp.mathematik.th-darmstadt.de in /pub/linux/okir, or use the new
kernel nfsd.

Olaf

--
Olaf Kirch        | Even paranoids have enemies.
okir@monad.swb.de |                         -anonymous