Re: [2.1.32] First Impressions

Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Sun, 06 Apr 1997 21:14:31 +1000

On Sun, 6 Apr 1997 01:55:34 -0800 (PST),
"B. James Phillippe" <bryan@Terran.ORG> wrote:
>I've never had SMP set to 1; I read the note Linus made about kernel
>2.1.20someodd being SMP by default, and I promptly changed my SMP to 0. I
>did that back in 2.1.28 or something; the symbol problems I reported
>didn't show up in 2.1.29. I went from 2.1.29 straight to 2.1.32 so I
>don't know if they existed in between. One exception: ipv6 had some
>failed dependancies in 2.1.29 but I wasn't using it... My Makefile:
>
>[...]
># NOTE! SMP is experimental. See the file Documentation/SMP.txt
>#
>SMP = 0

And there is your problem. The top level Makefile does "ifdef SMP",
not "if SMP". "SMP = 0" makes SMP a defined variable, it happens to
have value 0 but the makefile does not care what the value is, only
whether SMP is defined or not. So you actually built an SMP kernel
after all :(. Comment out the "SMP = 1" line.