Re: 2.0000

James L. McGill (fishbowl@fotd.netcomi.com)
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 09:04:08 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Egor Egorov wrote:

>Oh yearh.. I know, kernel hacking is good... But Linux will never be a real
>commercially-supported OS, if a release kernel will not be released...

Linux has been real, and has enjoyed fairly significant commercial support.
Many production kernels have been released. What is your point? That it
isn't supported by IBM or somebody? That's not even an issue. (Not to
mention there are more people using linux today than OS/2).

>So, we want 2.0.30 or .31 or any release. Is there a chance to hope ? :)

Well, that's like when we were waiting for a 1.2.14 kernel that was ELF,
and supported the AHA-2940. We never did get that, and lived with patches
until 2.0

Why don't you think 2.0.29 is good enough?
What would qualify Linux for the category of "commercially supported?"

--
g-r-a-t-e-f-u-l-l-y---[   email:<fishbowl@conservatory.com>   ]---l-i-v-i-n-g
d-e-a-d-i-c-a-t-e-d---[ http://www.conservatory.com/~fishbowl ]-----l-i-g-h-t