Re: /linuxrc starts as PID 4???

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@noris.de)
19 Mar 1997 05:00:44 +0100

In linux.dev.kernel, article <Pine.SOL.3.91.970318114554.9002A-100000@fan1.fan.nb.ca>,
William Burrow <aa126@fan.nb.ca> writes:
> Why is it that /linuxrc in the initrd process starts with PID 4? This is
> useless, since init will not start without the proper PID, which is 1.

This is because the kernel will start /sbin/init after linuxrc has
finished.

There's no reason at all why you would want to have init start from within
/linuxrc, is there? (At least, I haven't found any yet.)

If you want your RAM disk to be _the_ root, then echo its device number to
/proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev before exiting from /linuxrc. You get the
device number (should be 0x1FF) by "ls -l /proc/self/root" (from /linuxrc,
of course).

--
Did you hear about the Len Bias Memorial Basketball League?
It's for guys six feet and under.