Re: Question about /proc/kcore

Woodstock (woody@balintrc.gardens.udayton.edu)
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 07:11:41 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 10 Mar 1997, Sascha 'SieGeL' Pfalz wrote:

> don't know if this question was already written here, but after browsing some
> of my dirs, I found the file /proc/kcore, which is by now 33558528 Bytes (!)
> in size ?? I just wonder what this file means (sorry for this poor question,

First off... nothing in /proc takes up ANY space.. it's a virtual
filesystem. And I would say you have 32 megs of memory, no? /proc/kcore
is merely a memory dump. ;) To the best of my (meager) knowlege it IS
your memory. For neat effects, try: cat /proc/kcore > /dev/audio ;)

woody@beer.com http://131.238.95.31/woody - Woody
balint@udayton.edu SysAdmin of WoodyNet!

Seeking Job: Part time hacker seeks full time position with benefits.
All I ask is a Pentium computer, a window, and to leave
me alone with my work. :)