Re: MSR support for x86

Stephan Meyer (sensei@wiesel.de)
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 08:17:26 +0100 (MET)

On 10 Mar 1997, Wayne Schlitt wrote:
> In <m0w4Aoa-0005FcC@lightning.swansea.linux.org.uk> alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox) writes:
> >
> > > [ ... ] but that's not the point. The point is that
> > > some of this information can be used in surprising ways and I think we
> > > should be really careful what we allow general users to access.
> >
> > This all misses the point. The whole reason for /dev files with
> > permissions is so people can set them.
>
> [ note: my original comments edited back in, slightly out of context ]
>
> yes, the UNIX philosophy of "everything is a file", and can be
> protected as such, is A Good Thing. However, these "unexpected
> consequences" lead me to believe that having separate files for each
> of the MSR's would be better than putting them all in one file and
> doing seeks.

That'd mean to have something like msr00000000 to msrffffffff... .... ...
:-(

like it's pointless to be able to set permissions for each sector on hda
just so that a user mode program can read the partition table.

this is all up to the sysadmin. he's responsible.

Cheers, Stephan

Stephan Meyer
+49-89-4301114
Stephan.Meyer@munich.netsurf.de