Re: kernel version naming, ISS and SMP

Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 18:04:57 +1100

On Tue, 11 Mar 1997 00:54:39 -0500 (EST),
Jacques Gelinas <jack@solucorp.qc.ca> wrote:
>The recent ISS patch from Dave Miller is pretty. I don't want to discuss
>it here, but a side effect of this patch. When you compile it,
>the new kernel is named
>
> 2.0.29-ISS
>
>and the modules are stored in /lib/modules/2.0.29-ISS.
>
>I know that this is breaking the module utilities a little bit
>(have been fixed already). I was wondering how of a problem is it causing
>to other people. I hope that indeed, it is causing little or no problem.
>If this was the case, then we could use the same naming to distinguish SMP
>kernel from none SMP. So SMP modules would go in /lib/modules/x.y.z-SMP
>and so on.

Not a bad idea. However the patch to modutils *ignores* anything after
'-_#.'. For your scheme to work properly, it is critical that kernel
a.b.c-SMP only use modules a.b.c-SMP, not modules compiled for any
version of a.b.c. It just means changing modutils again (no big deal).
It also means that each "special" version of the kernel must have its
own complete set of modules, trying to mix and match modules across
"special" versions would be a nightmare.