Re: LINUX Kernel Internals

mdean (mdean@best.com)
Sat, 8 Mar 1997 01:06:54 -0800 (PST)

I am thinking of downgrading temporarily my home box to 1.2.13 since I am
not using anything new there. I am currently reading "Linux Kernel
Internals", really more than anything it useful for learining about the
structure of the system more than specific details (you can hack for that).
It is difficult with technical reference manuals of this nature -- because
unfortunately they are often written in non-english languages and then take
a great deal of time to be translated (It would be nice if there were more
english speaking/writing experts it the fields of system programming). Case in
point:

A manual on programming the hp48s series calculator in machine code
took almost two years to translate from french, I ordered it when I
first saw
the translation offered, by the time I received it, I had already
purchased a 48g series, and most of the entry points described
were not correct.

The best solution:

Learn to read German, French, Spanish and English, and you will
probably end up a lot more informed. Or you could just hack at it, but I
admit that reading source code does suck a bit.