Re: ENOUGH!!!

root (abszero@epix.net)
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 19:24:20 -0500 (EST)

Peter Benie wrote:
> In article <Pine.LNX.3.95.970225215243.29631K-100000@archenland.interweft.com.au>,
> Robert Hart <hartr@interweft.com.au> wrote:
> >On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Yoav Cohen-Sivan wrote:
> >
> >> I think I've just about had it up to _here_ with the junk being
> >> propagated to linux-kernel. I think it is time we create a new
> >> _closed_ mailing list, everybody can join, but there will be a
> >> moderator who ruthlessy kicks out anyone breaking the "no newbies"
> >> rules.
> >I doubt I will ever post, but *reading* the list is very interesting.
>
> I bet you will :-)
>
> There are other ways of moderating the list. Instead of kicking people
> off the list completely, you just ban then from mailing to the
> list. (This is technically easier, since some people are reading from
> a mail->news gateway and their address won't appear as a member of the
> list.)
>
> Also, when people mail to the list for the first time, instead of
> letting their mail through, you should send back an introduction to
> the list and describe the type of article that should/should not be
> sent. In the introduction, you make it clear to people that the list
> is highly technical in nature and suggest better forums for the "how
> do I setup 'x' on my machine" questions.
>
> Peter Benie

I would absolutely agree with you on this one. Do you know what you get
when you subscribe?

Welcome to the linux-kernel mailing list!

Please save this message for future reference. Thank you.
you can send mail to <Majordomo@vger.rutgers.edu> with the following

#### No info available for linux-kernel.

Thats it. Nothing that says anything about what the list is for (and what
it is NOT for).

I would also sugest that there is a thinger (highly technical term) so that
if enough people (1/3 of subscribers?) vote to deny post-access, they will
have post-access revoked for a limited time (2 wks?). Also, should there be
sub-lists spawned?

How about this:
(l.k. is linux.kernel. This list is from the PoV of the News<->list
gateway.)
l.k.request --- I don't want to program it myself, but I have an idea
l.k.bugs --- I think I have a bug
l.k.patches --- I fixed a bug. (Pointers to patches prefered <G>)
l.newbie --- The proper place for "how do I do this?"
l.k.debate.proc--- Temp! Debate about the proc-fs
l.rc5-chalenge --- Temp! Is this subject dead yet?
l.list-admin --- Administrative stuff for these groups. Ex: messages
like this. <G>
l.k.debate.vm --- Temp! Virtual memory, overruns
l.k --- Everlthing else
I would sugest that we spawn sub-lists often, and that upon creation, all
subscribers to l.k be automaticly subscribed to the new list, with
notification. If there have been no posts to a list for a week, it should
be automaticly killed.

--- James Mastros