Re: Unable to handle kernel paging request [ext2 problem]

tenthumbs@cybernex.net
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 21:22:06 GMT

On Mon, 24 Feb 1997 18:10:50 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

> 1. the problem only occurs if core is dumped (my tests had been done with
> ulimit -c0 initially)
> 2. the 2.1.26 kernel catches an exception in ext2_file_write when running
> the same code, so we definitely have a problem there. (this could also
> explain some weird exceptions other people got in their logs)
> 3. the function which generates the oops is memcpy_fromfs, when it
> dereferences the buf pointer. buf is not touched at all inside
> ext2_file_write; also, there is no verify_area before the memcpy_fromfs
> call

Just to further confuse things, I don't get oopses at all, either with or
without core dumps. That's a 2.1.26 kernel, libc 5.4.17, gcc 2.7.2.1, binutils
2.7.0.3.

If the "test" file exists, then "p" = 0x40008000, but it segfaults.

I don't have a clue what's going on.