Re: ENOUGH!!!

SubbaRao V. Chitturi (subb3@ibm.net)
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 15:00:16 -0800

Benny Amorsen wrote:

> DSM> Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 20:18:15 +0200 From: Yoav Cohen-Sivan
> DSM> <yoavcs@netvision.net.il>
>
> DSM> In the spirit of the linux community, this is an unacceptable
> DSM> solution. The only remaining solution is to encourage people to
> DSM> control themselves with what they post here.
>
> I would like there to be a mailing list which is read-only for people
> not in the MAINTAINERS file. Currently the noise forces some serious
> discussion off the kernel list and into private email. That means that
> not all information is dispersed as widely as might be useful.
>
> Of course, I may be proposing a solution to a non-problem.
> linux-kernel should remain the way it is, IMHO.
>
> Benny

Why would one want to be bombarded with email for which they are not
using that information anytime in the near future? You will be spending
the rest of your life reading email and doing nothing.

I want to share with you all my experience with one of the best
maintained list. The list is for HP-UX. It is maintained in somewhere in
Holland. The list administrator appends to each posting,

"Post only questions and summaries only".

The list members follow that rule very well. Instead of having my
mailbox full of technical or psuedo-technical questions about a subject
which is not important to me at that time, I prefer to read mail from
exprienced folks who are offering help to my problem. If someone posted
a question to the group for which I have an answer I would reply to the
original poster with the solution. He/she in turn will post the summary
of replies to the group.

I hope to see that implemented for linux lists. Although digest is one
solution, I strongly believe the HP-UX lists method of the list
management be adopted by other lists.

Subbarao.