Re: ENOUGH!!!

Peter Benie (peterb@chiark.greenend.org.uk)
Tue, 25 Feb 97 14:46 GMT

In article <Pine.LNX.3.95.970225215243.29631K-100000@archenland.interweft.com.au>,
Robert Hart <hartr@interweft.com.au> wrote:
>On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Yoav Cohen-Sivan wrote:
>
>> I think I've just about had it up to _here_ with the junk being
>> propagated to linux-kernel. I think it is time we create a new
>> _closed_ mailing list, everybody can join, but there will be a
>> moderator who ruthlessy kicks out anyone breaking the "no newbies"
>> rules.

>I doubt I will ever post, but *reading* the list is very interesting.

I bet you will :-)

There are other ways of moderating the list. Instead of kicking people
off the list completely, you just ban then from mailing to the
list. (This is technically easier, since some people are reading from
a mail->news gateway and their address won't appear as a member of the
list.)

Also, when people mail to the list for the first time, instead of
letting their mail through, you should send back an introduction to
the list and describe the type of article that should/should not be
sent. In the introduction, you make it clear to people that the list
is highly technical in nature and suggest better forums for the "how
do I setup 'x' on my machine" questions.

Peter Benie