Re: swap space: an idea. Please comment.

Kohtala Marko (Marko.Kohtala@ntc.nokia.com)
25 Feb 1997 10:10:08 +0200

Riccardo Facchetti <fizban@mbox.vol.it> writes:
> files/partitions, so the swap space can grow under the control of
> sysadmin. Under the control of sysadmin, this is the problem.

At this point I thought you were going to suggest user swap
files. That a user can use up his disk quota to create swap files that
are used only for processing running with his user id. This could be a
really good idea, since it could for example protect root processes
from out of swap problems created by ordinary users by granting swap
space from separate root swap storage.

The swap storage could be removed when last process for the user dies,
to clean up kernel resources used for the purpose.

Alternatively, the swap storage could be associated with a process
group. This would enable user to set up a separate process groups with
their own swaps.

--
---
Marko Kohtala - Marko.Kohtala@ntc.nokia.com, Marko.Kohtala@hut.fi