Re: swap space: an idea. Please comment.

DUPRE Christophe (duprec@JSP.UMontreal.CA)
Sun, 23 Feb 1997 19:18:16 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 23 Feb 1997, Riccardo Facchetti wrote:

> Now the idea.
> Why not have an (I called) "adaptive" or if you prefer (I don't :)
> "dynamic" swap file, managed in kernel space, that can grow and shrink
> when memory is needed and/or released by someone ?

<description of this idea cut>

> The idea still seems to me a good idea, but I have to say that I don't
> have a good knowledge of the mm/ code, so this idea may be only a crazy
> thing, I don't know.

I beleive something like this can be done/has already been done as a daemon.
The daemon would sleep most of the time, but once in a while (60
seconds?) wake up and check the amount of free virtual memory. If not
enough is availlable (user-configurable), then create a new swapfile (of
size user-configurable, and only if there's enough disk space availlable).

When there's plenty of free virtual memory (also user-configurable), then
the daemon can remove a swapfile.

This should be easy to code if it doesn't exists... I might even be
interested in doing it :-)

Christophe Dupre Universite de Montreal
Montreal, Qc, Canada
"Nous ne sommes pas libres de ne pas etre libres, nous sommes obliges de
l'etre" - Fernando Savater

#include <disclaimer.h>