Re: linux-2.1.26 compile error

David Woodhouse (dwmw2@cam.ac.uk)
Sun, 23 Feb 1997 04:42:05 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 22 Feb 1997, scott gray wrote:

> I'm also a little nervious about the sysvinit install. I should have
> done the non-destructive install but I didn't. However I did backup my
> orginal sysvinit binaries. If you've ever installed sysvinit-2.69 on
> any redhat distribution please let me know if there were any problems.
> Any help would be appreciated.

I have sysvinit-2.69 on RH 4.1, Linux/SMP-2.1.26. Currently I have
problems, although they're almost certainly due to SMP:

> dwmw2:/home/dwmw2 $ ps -ax | grep zombie | wc
> 231 1392 8817
> dwmw2:/home/dwmw2 $ ps -aux | grep init | grep -v grep
> root 1 0.0 0.0 840 0 ? DW 16:38 0:03 (init)
> dwmw2:/home/dwmw2 $ sudo shutdown -rf now
>
> Broadcast message from root (ttyp2) Sun Feb 23 04:36:10 1997...
>
> The system is going down for reboot NOW !!
> dwmw2:/home/dwmw2 $

Yep, that's 231 zombie processes! And init shouldn't be in
un-interruptible sleep, should it? And I prefer `shutdown -rf` to reboot
the machine, rather than just returning me to a prompt :)

I'm going to have to press the big red button on the front. After this,
the reboot will get as far as the point at which it should say:
> INIT: Switching to runlevel 3
and it'll sit there and do nothing until I hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete, at which
point it'll say:
> INIT: Switching to runlevel 3
> INIT: Switching to runlevel 6
and continue to reboot. When it comes up without having to fsck, it works
perfectly.

David Woodhouse, WWW: http://dwmw2.robinson.cam.ac.uk
Robinson College, Email: dwmw2@cam.ac.uk
Cambridge, Tel: +44 (0) 976 658355