Re: Memory/cpu limits.

Ian Main (imain@slow.tcb-net.com)
Fri, 21 Feb 97 11:00 PST

Gerry S. Hayes writes:
> Ian main <imain@vcc.bc.ca> writes:
> > I'm sorry, I know this has been brought up many times before, but I was
> > just wondering what the state of memory limits are? I know they don't
> > work on my 2.0.29.. are they fixed in 2.1 ?
> >
> > I think it makes more sense to have CPU and memory limits working than
> > process limits.. I mean... that's what we're trying to prevent,
> > consumption of resources.
> >

> You must have some sort of configuration error; memory and CPU limits
> work fine in 2.0.29. Note that you need to set the limits; something
> like lshell (from sunsite, /pub/Linux/system/mumblemumble) is the
> easiest way to do this for all shells. That's not a kernel issue,
> though, so either private e-mail (I'd be willing to help you get it
> set up) or comp.os.linux.setup is the best forum for discussion.

Hmmm... This is why I was asking... I have lshell set up. And the
process limits work. But I brought down my machine with an malloc'ing
fork bomb the other day.. with a process limit of 5.

Maybe I don't have it setup right..
I have all the lshells renamed to /bin/bash, /bin/sh etc.. and the real
shells in /bin/shells/bash, and /bin/shells/sh respectively.

here's my /etc/limits:

---------------------------------------
// F: Number of file descriptors
// P: Number of processes
// C: CPU time in minutes
// D: Data segment in Megabytes

root - // No limits for root
imain -
imainb -
mmobbs -
guest C1P8D2 // Limit guest to 5 minutes CPU time and 8 processes, 5Mb
deuce C1P8D5
tmobbs C1P8D5
default C60P40D15 // Default limits, 60 min's CPU time, 30 processes, 15Mb

I've been playing around with the settings, so some maybe be a little
funky.. I was using the guest account for the experiments.

I just assumed it didn't work.. I'm pretty sure I got it set up
right.. but hopefully not :) (easier to fix my setup :) )

How much cpu time is good to set ?

Thanks for the help :)