Re: RC5 Challenge - Linux at Top

Nathan Bryant (nathan@burgessinc.com)
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 10:21:14 -0500 (EST)

There's nothing phony going on. The RC5 challenge has been going on for a
while; recently somebody on the LinuxNET IRC network proposed that we
should all set our clients to be from linux@linuxnet.org, and if we win
the money will be donated to LI.

I don't know about his non-functional e-mail address. But I'd say you're
right that he doesn't represent LI. As I said, the idea came up on
LinuxNET IRC; we don't represent LI but the money is going to LI if we
win.

LINUXNET.ORG is owned by Dr_Delete, an upstanding member of the LinuxNET
community. ;) Mr. Kleen's email may be nonfunctional but
linux@linuxnet.org is perfectly functional.

Sources are available for the RC5 keyspace-search client. You should read
the source before you worry about it uploading your password file.

Regards,
Nathan
(LoanShark on Linuxnet)

On Fri, 21 Feb 1997, Russell Coker - Mailing Lists wrote:

> I have just investigated this. Mail sent to Mr. Kleen bounces, and there
> doesn't seem to be any reference to this in the LI web site at www.li.org (if
> they really were involved then they surely would plug it as the Linux community
> could do with the $10K and the glory of winning).
> I haven't been able to contact their web server to look at the web pages,
> but I am starting to wonder about the validity of the story. Why would someone
> with a non-functional Email address claiming to represent LI (but without LI
> actually making reference to this) want us all to run his program on Internet
> connected Linux systems? Could it be to collect passwd data from machines
> without the shadow password suite?
>

> Russell Coker
>

> > http://zero.genx.net/
> > http://zero.genx.net/stats.html
> >

> > Join the fun! Download the client, and run it with the options
> > -i linux@linuxnet.org
> >
> > Be the shining light of your community!
> >
> > If the $10,000 magic key is found by linux@linuxnet.org, the money will go
> > to Linux International's Linux development fund.
> >
> > Start your machines cracking!
> >
> > /rc5-client-linux-{i486,i586,sparc,alpha} -i linux@linuxnet.org
> >
> > "The shiny one"
> > Mr. Kleen

| Nathan Bryant | Unsolicited commercial e-mail WILL be |
| nathan@burgessinc.com | charged an $80/hr proofreading fee. |