Re: RC5 Challenge - Linux at Top

Louis Mandelstam (louis@sacc.org.za)
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 16:04:32 +0200 (SAT)

On Fri, 21 Feb 1997, Russell Coker - Mailing Lists wrote:

> I have just investigated this. Mail sent to Mr. Kleen bounces, and there
> doesn't seem to be any reference to this in the LI web site at www.li.org (if
> they really were involved then they surely would plug it as the Linux community
> could do with the $10K and the glory of winning).
> I haven't been able to contact their web server to look at the web pages,
> but I am starting to wonder about the validity of the story. Why would someone
> with a non-functional Email address claiming to represent LI (but without LI
> actually making reference to this) want us all to run his program on Internet
> connected Linux systems? Could it be to collect passwd data from machines
> without the shadow password suite?

Apart from all that, the ftp site doesn't allow connections from outside
the US due to ITAR. Would have been nice if the announcement, or at
least the web site, mentioned that.

That does however seem to make it unlikely (or at least less likely)that
the client they want you to use is a Trojan.

L.Mandelstam - System Administrator louis@sacc.org.za
S A Council of Churches, PO Box 4921, Johannesburg, 2000, South Africa
tel:+27-11-492-1380 x114 fax:+27-11-492-1448 mobile: +27-83-229-0712