Re: RE: [masq] 1st virus in Linux :( (fwd)

Ray Auchterlounie (rda@kythera.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 20 Feb 1997 12:33:19 GMT

In article <01BC1E99.CEA85860@jmohr.blitz.de>
James Mohr <jimmo@blitz.net> wrote:

>What I though was really funny in the McAfee press release was this part:

>Although the virus does not operate under traditional operating
>systems such as DOS, Windows, Windows 95, Windows NT, NetWare and the
[...]
>Maybe I am wrong, but isn't "tradition" something that is passed on
>from generation to generation? Can something that is younger *really*
>be a tradition?

Maybe they mean "traditional _type_" or "traditional" functionality.

You could regard the "traditional" PC operating system type as being,
say, a single-user single-tasking glorified boot loader which gives
user programs total control of the hardware (ie. no security) for
maximum performance.

The more recent boot loaders may have an added GUI (to make selecting
which game to run easier), and the illusion of multitasking - but they
also include the "GPF" mechanism to remind you regularly that your
computer isn't really capable of such advanced things.

Despite Unix having existed on PCs in various forms for many many
years, a surprising number of people still seem to believe that the
limitations of "traditional" PC OSs are limitations of the "PC" hardware.

The license for the MicroShit contamination that arrived with my
machine actually includes the phrase:

"...use only the disks appropriate for your single-user computer."

Which single-user computer is that then Billy boy ?

ray

--
Ray Auchterlounie                     <rda@kythera.demon.co.uk>
         "Forty Two! Is that all you've got to show for