Re: Compaq Deskpro 5166/ IDE trouble

Hugo Van den Berg (hbe@cypres.nl)
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 12:03:45 +0100 ()

On Wed, 19 Feb 1997, Sven Eric wrote:

> Hi All,
> I'm relatively new to the linux world and I'm having a little trouble
> getting my IDE harddisk into DMA and 32 bit modes...
>
> (i'm on kernel 2.0.29 and recompiled hdparm 3.1)
>
> I'm not sure which chipset i have because COMPAQ does not reveal that
> information (OEM) But i'm told that even without compiling in something
> like Triton IDE I should be able to at least put the drive in 32bit.
>
> Here's what happens:
>
> kilroy:~# hdparm -i /dev/hda
>
> /dev/hda:
>
> Model=ST32140A, FwRev=07.07.01, SerialNo=JB488971
> Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs }
> RawCHS=4095/16/63, TrkSize=65535, SectSize=951, ECCbytes=22
> BuffType=3(DualPortCache), BuffSize=128kB, MaxMultSect=32, MultSect=off
> DblWordIO=no, maxPIO=2(fast), DMA=yes, maxDMA=0(slow)
> CurCHS=4095/16/63, CurSects=4127760, LBA=yes, LBAsects=4127760
> tDMA={min:120,rec:120}, DMA modes: sword0 sword1 sword2 *mword0 mword1
> mword2 IORDY=yes, tPIO={min:180,w/IORDY:120}, PIO modes: mode3 mode4
>
> kilroy:~# hdparm -c1 /dev/hda
>
> /dev/hda:
> setting 32-bit I/O support flag to 1
> I/O support = 1 (32-bit)
>
> So everything looks alright. But after a few seconds (or the next disk
> operation):
> hda: irq timeout: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
> ide0: reset: success
>
> And the drive is back in 16 bit mode :/ .

This is due to the reset. You could try -k and -K, but use with _MUCH_
caution.

> And:
> kilroy:~# hdparm -d1 /dev/hda
>
> /dev/hda:
> setting using_dma to 1 (on)
> HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
> using_dma = 0 (off)
>
> But hdparm -i reports DMA=yes ??????

Your drive supprts DMA, but the default IDE chipset does not. You need a
specific IDE chipset driver (like the Triton driver) in order to use DMA.

> Now i know the drive / controller are capable of 32 bit because when I
> "test-installed" Win95 (for when monkey island 3 comes out :) ) it put the
> drive in 32 bit operations. (btw don't worry Win95 is of the HD again :) )

The drive _NEVER_ supports 32 bit operations because IDE is only 16 bits
wide. The only thing that can be 32 bit is the communication between the
chipset and the bus.

> Is there anyone out there who has (or knows how to) put a COMPAQ DESKPRO
> 5166 (minitower model) into 32 bit disk operations? AFAIK there are only
> two versions of the 5166 minitower (at least when it comes to
> pre-installed harddisks)

It's simple. Compile a kernel that supports all possible chipsets. The
drivers autodetect if a certain chipset is present. Read your bootlog and
you will know which (if any) supported chipset COmpaq uses.

> Also if someone know which chipset i'm (likely) to have please let me
> know.

Hugo Van den Berg - hbe@cypres.nl
Phone - +31 (0)30 - 60 25 400
Fax - +31 (0)30 - 60 50 799