Re: Couldn't page flip...

Ion Badulescu (ionut@moisil.wal.rhno.columbia.edu)
Sun, 16 Feb 1997 16:44:13 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 16 Feb 1997, RHS Linux User wrote:

> I have this funny feeling that my linux partition is starting to die...
> I am using v 2.1.26. I was just using ftp, and I got a message that
> looked exactly like this. (This is not the first of this type.)
>
> Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address cb3bc198
[...]
> eax: cb3bc198 ebx: c19f0303 ecx: 00000400 edx: 0000035c
[...]
> Code: 39 38 75 24 66 39 58 04 75 1e 39 68 20 74 22 56 e8 1f fa ff

Code: 00000000 <_EIP> cmpl %edi,(%eax)

Without any translated symbols, my only guess is that you have bad memory,
a bit got flipped in the address (c33bc198 -> cb3bc198), hence the oops.

You can try to run the oops through ksymoops, a program which you will
find in the scripts directory. You need to compile it with

gcc -o ksymoops ksymoops.cc -lg++

and then run something like

ksymoops System.map <oops

where System.map is the map of the oops-ing kernel and oops is a a file
containing the oops output.

Ionut

P.S. I looked all over the Documentation directory, and I couldn't find
anything about the usage of ksymoops, but only a few vague references to
it. Maybe we should include something in oops-tracing.txt..? Reading
ksymoops.cc to get details is fine for me, but not for everyone else.

--
  It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
            than to open it and remove all doubt.