Re: unofficial pcmcia patch for 2.1.25

Klaus Lichtenwalder (klaus@WebForum.DE)
Tue, 11 Feb 1997 08:35:55 +0000 (WET)

On Tue, 11 Feb 1997, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> > I've put a "provisional" new release of the PCMCIA package on
> > hyper.stanford.edu in /pub/pcmcia/NEW. I hope that this will handle
> > all the issues with the latest 2.1.X kernels, but I made some of the
> > changes blindly: it will build cleanly with a 2.1.23 source tree, but
> > I'm still running 2.1.16 so I don't know if it actually works or not.
> >

> I tried it with a MultiTec PCMCIA modem with ppp and direct sessions as
> well as checking whether my Adaptec SlimSCSI gets detected. No problems
> so far on Kernel 2.1.25.
>
> I wish my report could be quite so positive.
>
> I tried it with a 2.1.26 kernel, it didn't work. The PCMCIA software
> recognized the modem card, but the IO ports apparently weren't bound
> correctly, since the signature of the card wasn't recognized.
>
> When I tried my ethernet card, my system locked up when I tried to use
> the network, and I was forced to reboot it to get the console back.
> Note a good sign....

Well, I guess I have to shift in direction to Theo's experience... This
morning, I wanted to make a backup on a remote machine. So, that's easy,
I thought. Bah, trying to ping, one ping comes back, and the machine
locks up hard...

Well, still my modem works fine...

Klaus

Klaus Lichtenwalder, Dipl. Inform., PGP Key: email to key@Four11.com