Re: Bliss Virus (fwd)

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.c.h.i.i.l.u.s)
7 Feb 1997 17:38:50 -0800

In article <linux.kernel.199702072233.RAA00594@aem.netcom.ca>,
Andrew E. Mileski <aem@netcom.ca> wrote:
>> The Bliss virus is currently a Linux binary-infecting virus.
>> Unfortunately, please do not feel your safe.
>
>...unless you aren't stupid and only login as root for system admin,
>and don't run executables blindly, etc., etc., etc., ...
>
>Basically, if you get bitten by Bliss (or any nasty program), you
>probably deserved it. This is a hard way to learn a lesson, but
>some people need to be taught using a baseball bat "attitude adjuster".

Given the choice between the right thing and the easy thing, people
will tend to pick the easy thing, particularly when it comes to
something like a computer.

In a sick way, I'm somewhat pleased to see these reports, and not
just because I'm making a living writing Linux antiviral products for
McAfee; if the malicious fuckwits of the world think that Linux is
popular enough to scribble graffiti over, that means it's actually
making it in the non-hobbyist world.

(And this is ANOTHER argument for something like the GGI; if you
don't have to be root to run doom, it's just a little bit harder for
an enterprising young virus to get in and fuck with the system.)

____
david parsons \bi/ Don't make the utopian mistake of assuming everyone
\/ thinks just like you do.