Re: Pentium memcpy patch. Unintended effect?

aidas@ixsrs4.ix.netcom.com
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 15:24:42 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 7 Feb 1997, Derrik Pates wrote:

> This is because the 3-D object modeling scheme used in Quake makes HEAVY
> use of the FPU. When you're doing large memcpy()s and such, it starts
> competing for access to the FPU. This is where your problem is at. If you
> can live with the extra bit of choppiness, go for it. I'm still on 2.0.27,
> and last I played Quake (Pentium 90, 16 MB RAM, S3 868 vid card w/2 MB
> RAM), it was not noticable to me, and I do use the Pentium memcpy patch on
> my box.

[This is basically what every response I got said. ;)]

Doh. I was under the impression (for some reason) that Quake used fixed
point emulation rather than the FPU. My bad. :)

The reason I asked was that I was curious whether I had some hardware
wierdness going on, or there was a patch conflict. No big deal, I just
wondered about it. :)

Regards and thanks to all.

--
"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold. Mere anarchy is loosed upon the
world; The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of