Re: CROSSPOSTED: why is vger bouncing mail off funet?

Peter K (pko@paradigm-sa.com)
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 20:00:04 +0200 (GMT+0200)

On Fri, 7 Feb 1997, Cameron MacKinnon wrote:

> I'm subscribed to kernel and smp, and just noticed that the listserver
> at Rutgers is bouncing all mail bound for me off nic.funet.fi. Is this
> normal? Is this sane? Canada's where I am, and I'm better connected to
> the US than Finland, I think! I subscribed via Majordomo at vger, and
> its been like this since I subscribed in early December.

nic.funet.fi is but one of the exploders for the various linux lists (Our
domain explodes for Africa and a couple of other countries). Actually the
traffic on the various lists is rather horrendous and instead of having poor
vger resend every mail posted to each relevant subscriber, it sends a
mailheader-modified message to various exploders around the world to
distribute on its behalf.

Peter Kooiman | Voice : +27-12-672-5700/10
Paradigm Systems Technology | Fax : +27-12-663-4191/2
Pretoria, South Africa | Cell : +27-82-651-4985
Box 9984, HENNOPSMEER, 0046, RSA | e-mail : pko@paradigm-sa.com