Re: reliability

Ian Main (imain@vcc.bc.ca)
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 09:03:58 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 6 Feb 1997, Robert Wuest wrote:

> Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> >
> > Linux reliability has been questioned. Here is an example of demonstrated
> > reliability. I re-booted it a few days ago to replace one of the tape drives
> > which has worn out and needs to be refurbished.
> >
> > This machine runs our Name-Server. We have 300+ nodes that use this for
> > all their lookups. It also backs up three Suns and a TCP/IP VAXen node
> > every night from 1 to about 6 AM.
> >
> > # uptime
> > 11:35am up 61 days, 14:43, 1 user, load average: 0.06, 0.03, 0.01
> >
> > # uname -a
> > Linux boneserver 2.0.16 #3 Mon Sep 2 09:25:13 EDT 1996 i486
> >
> > #
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Dick Johnson
>
> I wish I could say the same - I've had three crasshes on two different
> machines in the last month. One of them today. No messages or oops, I
> can't repeat it. I had to hit the reset button, yuck! Still, it's a
> lot better than when I was using windows and would have to reboot many
> times a week.
>
> I'm using them for (application) software development. Maybe I write
> buggy software :-).

:-) I've been having some problems with my machine here lately too, doing
just as you say, hard crashes. But a little fiddling with the ram and
cache timings in the bios fixed it. I've come to the conclusion, that
99% of the time you get a hard crash like that, it's hardware. (or as
others have mentioned, svgalib, but I never use it anymore. heh heh.. I
suppose there's always solar flares too =) )

If it were me, I'd go set the ram/cache timings a little slower in the
bios. Worked for me.

Ian