Re: reliability

Robert Wuest (rwuest@sire.vt.com)
Thu, 06 Feb 1997 16:36:44 -0600

Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> Linux reliability has been questioned. Here is an example of demonstrated
> reliability. I re-booted it a few days ago to replace one of the tape drives
> which has worn out and needs to be refurbished.
>
> This machine runs our Name-Server. We have 300+ nodes that use this for
> all their lookups. It also backs up three Suns and a TCP/IP VAXen node
> every night from 1 to about 6 AM.
>
> # uptime
> 11:35am up 61 days, 14:43, 1 user, load average: 0.06, 0.03, 0.01
>
> # uname -a
> Linux boneserver 2.0.16 #3 Mon Sep 2 09:25:13 EDT 1996 i486
>
> #
>
> Cheers,
> Dick Johnson

I wish I could say the same - I've had three crasshes on two different
machines in the last month. One of them today. No messages or oops, I
can't repeat it. I had to hit the reset button, yuck! Still, it's a
lot better than when I was using windows and would have to reboot many
times a week.

I'm using them for (application) software development. Maybe I write
buggy software :-).

--
Robert Wuest, PE                Empowered           Kemet Electronics
Sirius Engineering Company         by           robertwuest@kemet.com