Re: Async IO

Tim Wright (timw@sequent.com)
Wed, 05 Feb 1997 11:06:26 PST

In message <Pine.HPP.3.91.970205102211.9281A-100000@ruprecht.prz.tu-berlin.de>,
Michael Eyrich writes:

> Negativ signal values are used to reach a process with all its childs
> i.e. a process group. Positiv signal values are used to reach exactly
> one process and the 0-signal is used to check if there is a process with
> this number ..

No, negative *pids* are used to signal a process group. (pid_t) -1
signals all processes whose real uid matches the effective uid of the
sender. I'm not sure what Posix has to say about the valid range of
signals, but I suspect it is probably limited.

Tim Wright, Worldwide Technical Services,         |  Email: timw@sequent.com
Sequent Computer Systems Inc., 15450,             |
SW Koll Parkway, Beaverton, Oregon 97006          |  Phone: +1-503-578-3822
"Applying computer technology is simply finding the right wrench to pound
in the correct screw"