PCI NE2000 clone

Trevor Johnson (trevor@blues.jpj.net)
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 18:24:54 -0801 (PST)

Jon Lewis wrote:

> I got a bunch (few dozen over 8 hours) of these the other day on a P100
> running 2.0.28 with a realtek PCI ne2k card during a backup/compare over
> the network to this system's DAT. The source comments around
> this printk make it sound like this isn't a very good thing to see.
>
> eth0: Tx timed out, cable problem? TSR=0x6, ISR=0x0, t=27.
> eth0: Tx timed out, cable problem? TSR=0x6, ISR=0x0, t=27.
> eth0: Tx timed out, cable problem? TSR=0x6, ISR=0x0, t=26.
>
> How bad are these errors, and should I start looking into putting a
> different ethernet card in...or are there bugs in the 2.0.28 ne2k support
> that have been fixed?
>
> Bus 0, device 18, function 0:
> Ethernet controller: Realtek 8029 (rev 0).
> Medium devsel. IRQ 9.
> I/O at 0x6100.

I occasionally use a similar or identical card (sold as the SimpleNet
SN3200CT, looks the same in /proc/pci). The only problem I've had with it
has been in getting the plug-and-play BIOS to always give it the same IRQ.
I've heard about IRQ 9 supposedly being unreliable because of the way it's
chained to IRQ 2. Perhaps another interrupt would work better. It should
be easy to try anyway.
___
Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>