RE: System.map and .config in zImage (was Re: A couple "normal u

Ion Badulescu (ionut@moisil.wal.rhno.columbia.edu)
Mon, 3 Feb 1997 23:25:05 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 3 Feb 1997, Daniel A. Taylor wrote:

> Aren't things like this what the .comments and .notes sections
> of the ELF binaries are intended for? I do not believe that they
> are loaded into memory, so it would only increase the disk footprint.
>
> Note that I haven't researched this thoroughly, so feel free
> to flame me if I'm wrong.

I'm not actually sure about this either, but putting the files into
separate sections of vmlinux is only gonna make them awfully hard to
extract. Remember, vmlinux gets gzipped, then encapsulated as a binary
.data section into another file and on the top of that come the setup and
boot sector.

I'm not saying that it cannot be done; it can, obviously, but for one I'm
not an ELF expert and, besides, it works as is. :-) I'm currently using it
to generate System.map on the fly at boot time. :-)

As my previous message said: feel free to improve upon it!

Ionut

--
  It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
            than to open it and remove all doubt.