Re: IRQ, I/O and DMA identifiers as sound module parameters?

Jacques Gelinas (jack@solucorp.qc.ca)
Mon, 3 Feb 1997 13:11:32 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 3 Feb 1997, Colm Buckley wrote:

> Would it be possible to make these parameters passable as MODULE_PARMs
> to the sound module, so that they could be specified at boot time? It
> would be a great boost to the flexibility of the sound subsystem if they
> could, allowing greater variety in the types of sound cards supported.

I wonder if the sound module should be break into sound modules a little
bit like the scsi is broken is several layer. Some ethernet driver also do
this by putting common code in one module (ne use 8390 for example).

> I believe we should be moving Linux towards a "plug-and-play" type of
> system; while this would mean major changes to large parts of the
> kernel, allowing parameters such as this to be specified at boot time
> rather than compile time would be a step in the right direction.
>
> What do you all think?

The newer modules in 2.1 support imbedded documentation. This will allow
you to ask (using modprobe) which options are available to a module. This
will allow admin system to do a nice job, not necessarily at boot time,
which is a win: At use time. This is called "On demand configuration".

Jacques Gelinas (jacques@solucorp.qc.ca)
Linuxconf: The ultimate administration system for Linux.
see http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/linuxconf