Re: cosmetic patches for 2.1.25

Cyber-Babushka (u6ed4@wvnvm.wvnet.edu)
Mon, 3 Feb 1997 00:10:02 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 2 Feb 1997, Trevor Johnson wrote:

>Linux 2.1.25 compiled for me with no warnings and is running well. Could
>these patches please be folded in though, to make it look prettier?

vis-a-vis (among other things):
>> Partition check:
>> -----> hda:Started kswapd v 1.4.2.2
>> hda1 hda3 hda4 < hda5 >
>> hdc: hdc1 hdc2
>
>This happens on the first sleeping, as schedule() will start the kernel
>thread which was launched prior to setup().

I've been playing with various kernel configurations, and I'm almost
positive that this only occurs when floppy.c is compiled as a module. On
my primary pc, the kswapd message invades the partition check, as above.
On my other computer, which needs the (slow to find the cdrom and load)
sbpcd driver, the kswapd message invades the sbpcd messages, but again,
only if floppy.c is compiled as a module. When floppy support is compiled
into the kernel, it slows down the boot just enough to keep the kswapd
message from invading something else (apparently, this is usually the
partition check on a machine with an IDE/ATAPI cdrom).

I don't know if this info is useful, but I thought I'd throw it in for
free. :) :) :)

bonni
http://wvnvm.wvnet.edu/~u6ed4/bonni.html
C++ Turbo Vision archive: http://brooks.wvn.wvnet.edu/tvhome
__ __
IC | XC | bonni mierzejewska "The Lone Quilter"
---+--- | u6ed4@wvnvm.wvnet.edu
NI | KA | Kelly's Creek Homestead, Maidsville, WV