Re: Recovered errors on ide1

Dale Scheetz (dwarf@polaris.net)
Fri, 31 Jan 1997 13:47:47 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 30 Jan 1997, Eric Hoeltzel wrote:

> I am not using the CMD640, my ide controller is a Genoa Veloce
> ide/floppy/serial/parallel/video combo card. I have been getting:
>
> hda: status error: status=0x00 { }
> hda: drive not ready for command
> hda: status error: status=0x00 { }
> hda: drive not ready for command
> hda: status error: status=0x00 { }
> hda: drive not ready for command
> hda: status error: status=0x00 { }
> hda: drive not ready for command
> ide0: reset: success
>
> with increasing frequency on my console. I do not have CMD640 support
> in my kernel either.

I get this same sequence, but on hdc and ide1.

....deleted stuff....

> I got several replies, sort of confirming my initial suspicion
> that the drive is going bad. It is a Western Digital Caviar
> 1.6 meg with a 200 meg Western Digital slaved to it. However,
> other replies indicated that it could be heat, loose cables,
> etc.
>
> I popped the case off and replaced the 200 meg with a 2.5 gig
> Fujitsu IDE so I could copy what I needed off of the 1.6 gig
> WD and messages like the above became even more severe, some
> involving hdb. I then put everything back the way it was and
> the errors disappeared for a few days. Today they are back.

Seems the only thing our two machines have in common is a Wester Digital
drive. Mine is a 1.2 gig AC2540, and I remember having to do some voodoo
to get the drive to work when I installed it. I'm beginning to believe
that it's some quirkyness in the WD drive.

> I know very well what a sick ide drive sounds like and my
> drive doesn't sound like that. When these errors show up
> the drive does make some pretty ugly noises, but these are
> not the "sick ide noises."

Same here.

> I am running 2.0.27 on a local bus 486-50dx, nothing special.
> Slackware 96. 20 megs ram. In general a nice little system.
> I am not entirely convinced the drive is going bad.

I'm running a Debian system and a 2.0.27 kernel on a P75 PCI bus
motherboard, so we are similar in the particulars of interest.

Guess it's time to look for a Western Digital technician :-(

Dwarf

aka Dale Scheetz Phone: 1 (904) 656-9769
Flexible Software 11000 McCrackin Road
e-mail: dwarf@polaris.net Tallahassee, FL 32308