Re: A couple "normal user" questions..

Philip Blundell (pjb27@cam.ac.uk)
Fri, 31 Jan 1997 00:58:52 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 30 Jan 1997, Aaron Tiensivu wrote:

> /proc/ksyms
> The current state that this file is, it is basically useless as far as I can
> see. It doesn't contain all the references that System.map has. Was the
> original intent to be able to not keep around a System.map file and have it
> merely as a sym. link to /proc/ksyms?

No; I think /proc/ksyms is the symbols that are exported to modules.
System.map contains _all_ the symbols in the kernel.

> /proc/config
>
> This would be simply the .config that was used in compilation of the kernel.
> I'm sure a lot of people have kernels lying around and they don't know what
> they compiled into it, and didn't keep the related .config around either. The
> reason I think it should be a /proc option is that it would be an easy reminder
> and a small portion of code.
>
> That way.. for newbies to kernels, a userland program could parse /proc/config
> and tell them exactly what is configured into the kernel.

I don't really think this would be worthwhile. You don't need to know at
runtime. If you want to do this, devise some scheme to embed information
into the kernel image with minimal overhead, and provide some program so
that you can say

$ printconfig ./vmlinuz

and it will tell you how the kernel in question was compiled.

P.