Re: Async IO

Nathan Bryant (nathan@burgessinc.com)
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 20:17:39 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 26 Jan 1997, Greg Alexander wrote:

> You only need to use one signal, then the signal handler will look at some
> shared memory to see what the signal was for. And there's no really good
> reason that i know of to not use SIGHUP, SIGCHLD, SIGIO, SIGPWR, etc.

Using shared memory from signal handlers isn't easy. The pthreads
synchronization routines can't be called from signal handlers, because
they rely on signals to wake up a task that's blocked on a mutex or
condition.

Async I/O can be done on linux, but it can't be done portably until Linux
gets better signal support.

| Nathan Bryant | Unsolicited commercial e-mail WILL be |
| nathan@burgessinc.com | charged an $80/hr proofreading fee. |