Re: More on the TCPv4 errors

B. James Phillippe (bryan@Terran.ORG)
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 12:23:31 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 24 Jan 1997, Mike Wangsmo wrote:

> I'm still getting the TCPv4 errors (w/ 2.1.22) and they never used to
> cause too much problem with ppp. However they are practically killing my
> bandwidth with their frequency. Is there are fix. Last time I posted
> this, several folks replied with just ignore them which was ok for the
> last few kernels, but 2.1.22 the problem seems _real_ bad.

I have a question about these messages, too. I have a few users who
connect to my server via telnet from their home PC's, which are conencted
to the Internet through 14.4/28.8k PPP dialups. I see these messages
generated in hoardes whenever those people are logged in. A major
slowdown (latency on the order of several minutes) coincides with the
messages. I know just a few facts:

That the messages occur more for the 14.4 user than the 28.8 user.
The 28.8 user is using W95 and the 14.4 user has Win-3.1 (trumpet).
That both users connect from the same ISP.

I'm pretty well set in my belief that the problem is coming from the ISP
(not mine or me) because of the same-ISP factor, and the fact that I never
see these (ever!) unless those people are telnetting in. My question is
this: what would cause those to be generated? Those people don't see
slowdowns when they're connected elsewhere. I'd really like to eliminate
the kernel from the possible cause list. This is a sample of the exact
content of the message:

Jan 22 20:10:57 earth kernel: TCPv4 bad checksum from 463bbccc:0401 to
e2dc9dcc:0017, len=20/20/40
Jan 22 20:10:57 earth kernel: TCPv4 bad checksum from 463bbccc:0401 to
e2dc9dcc:0017, len=21/21/41
Jan 22 20:10:58 earth kernel: TCPv4 bad checksum from 463bbccc:0401 to
e2dc9dcc:0017, len=20/20/40

Linux-2.1.21 with modutils-970118 and ppp-2.2.0f.BETA1.

Thanks for any advice,
-bp

--
# B. James Phillippe # Network/System Administrator #
# <bryan@terran.org> # http://w3.terran.org/~bryan  #