Re: Controller trashes FS (what's new)

Chris Evans (chris@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 11:53:17 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 26 Jan 1997, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> I think that a bad "seek", i.e., a read or write beyond the end of the
> physical media, caused Linux to be trashed. Therefore, subsequent writes
> were to __OTHER__ devices, not even "known" to Linux.

This is indeed a problem, and not limited to SCSI devices. I'm using an
IDE disk under DMA, and until a few kernels ago, could try a large
recursive copy from one MSDOS partition to another, and sometimes cause a
read beyond the end of some device or another. The resulting mayhem kills
Linux and often required a power cycle to get the drive talking again.

Was probably a MSDOG bug

Chris.