Re: AHA1542 SCSI reset code still broken???

Zach (zab@grumblesmurf.net)
Sun, 26 Jan 1997 01:32:30 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 26 Jan 1997, Steven S. Dick wrote:

> I have an AHA 1542CF scsi card with a HD, cdrom, and tape drive attached.
> Both the cdrom and tape drive are external, and the tape drive is usually
> off.

i also have a 1542cf with the floppy disabled and a single old 400m
quantum. i can't even get the kernel to find the drive at bootup. i have
the controller at buson=11,busoff=4,dmaspeed=5, for whatever that is
worth. the dos diagnostic driver can find and verify the drive just fine,
which is annoying to no end :) there are no dma/irq conflicts as far as i
can tell, it just seems that the kernel is really ticking off the 1542..
more later..

> Jan 26 02:24:26 nevets kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 45339, scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 6 0x48 c0 00 00 07 01 00 08 01 00
> Jan 26 02:24:26 nevets kernel: SCSI host 0 abort (pid 45339) timed out - resetting
> Jan 26 02:24:26 nevets kernel: SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
> Jan 26 02:24:26 nevets kernel: Sent BUS DEVICE RESET to target 6
> Jan 26 02:24:26 nevets kernel: Sending DID_RESET for target 6
> Jan 26 02:24:26 nevets last message repeated 2 times

i get this exact message (but for pid 0) on bootup, repeats endlessly.

> Why would it never recover from the reset?

well, a friend and i were poking around with the innerds of the 'puter
exposed. it appears that the 1542 has an internal (brilliant guys.. gotta
love those blinkies you can't use. duh.) 'activity' led. it is lit when
it sends commands to the drive, etc. so when the kernel starts up, the
led blips when the kernel first scans the bus (im guessing) then, after
the reset messages start scrolling, the led goes solid. once it is in
this state the card is unusable without a full power reset. the dos
diagnostic stuff can't even detect the card, which makes me think linux
has gone and completely confused it.

i'm more than willing to help in debuging.. i'd really like to get this
working.

-- zach