Re: Packaged Kernel

W. Reilly Cooley (wcooley@navi.net)
Sat, 25 Jan 1997 13:11:59 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 25 Jan 1997, Neptho T. wrote:
> Same prob as I stated earlier.. that requires root to install more
> progams, and most of them I have encountered (efnet, linuxnet, wasteland)
> wont even read a readme, and wer're going to just let them loose with
> this? Sounds a bit more than many have the
> intelligence power to handle.

Perhaps I am missing the problem as you are stating it. Are you of the
belief that I'm talking about a large package that needs to be installed
any place other than /usr/src/linux/scripts? I don't think it would be
much of a task for a user (as root, indeed) to untar and ungzip a file
with some scripts, docs, and such. I don't think it is difficult at all.

Does anyone *else* think that the method I have proposed is
overly-demanding and difficult?

Furthermore, you ought to be more careful about what you consider
"intelligence". There are a good many people who are quite intellegent
and know nothing about computers. (Sometimes I think that avoidance of
these damned things demonstrates superlative facilities of reason...) I am
quite sure that neither John Stewart Mill or Plato knew what a Bourne
shell is, yet we would be hard pressed not to consider them "intellegent".

Wil
W. Reilly Cooley
The Naked Ape Consulting
1509 NE 10th Ave., #104 Portland, OR 979232
503 287-2165
wcooley@navi.net
http://www.navi.net/~wcooley

As a service, I provide analysis for viruses and poor grammar to senders
of unsolicited commercial e-mail at a rate of $250 per hour. Delivery of
said correspondence constitutes a request for the afforementioned services
at said price.