Re: Com Ports, LPT ports, Solution and another problem

W. Reilly Cooley (wcooley@navi.net)
Sat, 25 Jan 1997 04:44:22 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 23 Jan 1997, Neptho T. wrote:

> The standard linux setup for com ports is Com 1,3 = 4, Com 2,4 = 3...
> You change thses settings via setserial, e.g Say you want com2 on irq 4:
> /bin/setserial -b /dev/cua1 uart {8250,16450,16550} port 0x2F8 irq 4
> com1 on irq 3
> /bin/setserial -b /dev/cua0 uart {8250,16450,16550} port 0x3F8 irq 3

The only problem with this using an auto-loading serial module. I'd have
to, for example, run /bin/setserial everytime before I attempt to make a
ppp connection. Very inconvenient. For expeditiousness, I just modified
the appropriate files so that my /dev/cua2 defaults to IRQ 5, as per my
hardware setting. I think The only problem with this using an
auto-loading serial module. I'd have to, for example, run /bin/setserial
everytime before I attempt to make a ppp connection. Very inconvenient.
For expeditiousness, I just modified the appropriate files so that my
/dev/cua2 defaults to IRQ 5, as per my hardware setting. I think there is
another way to do it using /etc/conf.modules settings to pass parameters
to the module, but I have been too lazy to investigate it fully.

Wil
W. Reilly Cooley
The Naked Ape Consulting
1509 NE 10th Ave., #104 Portland, OR 979232
503 287-2165
wcooley@navi.net
http://www.navi.net/~wcooley

As a service, I provide analysis for viruses and poor grammar to senders
of unsolicited commercial e-mail at a rate of $250 per hour. Delivery of
said correspondence constitutes a request for the afforementioned services
at said price.