Re: If Linux is to succeed

Marko Sepp (sepp.marko@hkol.fi)
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 14:11:25 +0200 (GFT Standard Time)

At 02:01 24.1.1997 -0500, you wrote:

>> I proposed that earlier today. One of the biggest problems would be with
>> the copyrights of the Windows APIs. I am not exactly sure if it is
>> actually able to own an interface (i.e., a set of function prototypes and
>> pre-processor definitions), but I suppose it would be roughly analogous to
>> the Look & Feel contention. Does anyone have any legal knowledge about
>> this?
>
>I remember reading somewhere that Lotus sued Borland or some company
>becouse they had a look that was like one of their products. They lost
>the suit. I guess that would be legal pressident.

The same happened to using mouse in an user interface, which was first
developed at XEROX, then bought by Apple from XEROX and after Windows came out,
Apple sued Microsoft for "copying" their graphical user interface. It took
years but finally it was agreed that the copyright law doesn't apply to
an user interface. Sorry, Apple.

Marko